Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lanakila women heading to Hawaii

Women from the Lanakila Outrigger Canoe Club will carry the Ocean of Hope (O2H) banners to Hawaii, where they will compete Sept. 27 in the Molokai to Oahu Race. The 23 women will start in Hale O Lono Harbor, and the finish will be around 1:30 p.m. at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Read about them in the Honolulu Advertiser. The story includes a quote from Brenda Maroney of Corona, Calif., who was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma in 2005. She attends a sarcoma support group in Redondo Beach, where the Lanakila team is based.

"O2H and the Sarcoma Alliance have made my journey real. They have given me hope," Brenda says. "I have felt like I was alone -- the token one-legged woman with knee cancer. I have been able to help manage my care with the information that SA brings, and the collection of experiences from survivors, caretakers and friends."

I'm thankful to Brenda for helping us, and I wrote this "thank you" to the Lanakila team. They have raised $14,000 for the Alliance so far!

I just found team captain Aimee Spector's story about raffling off a paddleboard. The raffle will end Saturday, Sept. 19.
-- Suzie Siegel

No comments: